The idea to throw a BBQ for any occasion is not a very original nor unfamiliar motion for a pair of Australians, and to have 2 ‘special’ calendar events in sequence doubles the chances for proceeding. Spawned to celebrate this years Burns Night and Australia day, the game was afoot to use as much haggis as we’d possibly be able to prepare for party food. As per usual, estimating the required supplies is not a strong point so we have plenty of haggis left over. The texture reminds me of mince and in turn a dish my father makes involving eggplant and beef mince. In my case I’ve added lamb and haggis since they weren’t in short supply.
A fridge full of leftovers means an easy lunch: “neeps & tatties” salad, broad beans, simmered eggplant & haggis & lamb, veggie haggis spring rolls, roasted capsicum and carrot.
Meat & Eggplant
- Fry off some lamb mince in a lightly oiled frypan until it browns
- Meanwhile dice a small amount of onion, set the mince aside in the pan and fry the onion until its translucent
- Add crumbed haggis and heat
- Set the mixture aside in the pan and add sliced quarters of eggplant (more oil may be needed)
- When the eggplant is cooked, season with soy sauce and pepper